Thursday 3 October 2013

Blog 1 Response: Mass Media Impact on Others

Re-reading my previous blog post it dawns on me that is was somewhat a negative approach to the way mass media has impacted me, but it hasn’t changed the way I like at media. It has however, added some different approaches that I did not think about.  Of course there are tons of positives to go along with mass media and after reading a few of the other students blogs I realize that there was a common theme with a positive about communicating, but negatives with the way media portrays body image. I definitely agree with the posts about how the media displays characters and models on TV or over the internet are wrong.

“No one wants to watch a television series about a chubby 14 year old girl who goes to a crumby high school in an even crumbier town.” (Veronica Field, http://veronicatmeow.blogspot.ca/2013/09/1f25-post-1-media-impact.html). This was probably the sentence that got my attention the most and really made me think about the way that both men and women are portrayed on TV. Many of the guy characters are tall, muscular and play sports. Moreover, the more intelligent characters are shown to be smaller in stature, wear glasses, and appear to be intimidated easily. As seen in the real world, none of these appearances are seen to be exactly true. I consider myself to be pretty intelligent, I do play a lot of sports and I am in good condition. There are some guys that fit the descriptions that are shown on TV, but that is just who they are and they seem, for the most part, to be pretty happy with themselves.

The positive part of mass media, as shown to me by another student’s blog is that mass media has created the biggest set of connections to people around the world. From Facebook to Twitter or YouTube to Instagram, it just seems that the world is connected in some way and for the most part it is a good thing. Being able to contact people in a different country via text message or an instant message over Facebook makes it really easy to stay in touch with old friends and family members.  This way we don’t forget where we come from and who is part of our life. “ The ability to communicate with people across the globe in seconds via Facebook, the power to receive breaking news faster than ever before on Twitter, and the capability to upload a video in minutes on YouTube has sparked a new era of media that provides the instant results many of us have become accustomed to over the last few year”, (Zachengel98, http://zachengel98.wordpress.com/2013/09/17/1f25-post-one-media-impact/). What he mentions in that line has so much truth to it. I spend a lot of time on my phone and send close to 100 texts a day, and talk on Skype for four hours a night. It has come to the point where if I were to lose the technology and ways of communication I have now I would have no idea what to do with myself because I would not be typing this blog right now, all my notes would be hand written and I wouldn’t be able to communicate with those who are away from me while I’m at school.

I can’t wait to see what the future has in store for mass media and technology in general. It is going to be a great couple of years.


No comments:

Post a Comment